How many times have you heard someone say 'I can't do mental arithmetic'?
Perhaps it is something that you have said yourself many times . . . I know I have!
The problem, I have found, is not 'I can't do mental arithmetic' but 'I don't know how to do mental arithmetic'.
This certainly was the case for me.
Let me show you what i mean.
If I were to ask you to multiply 43 x 11. Would you be able to do it? How long would it take you to do it?
If you asked me that 1 year ago, I would have said 'I can do it but it will take me a while'. You see, like many people, I believed that I couldn't do mental arithmetic.
Now, let me show you how to do 43 x 11 in your head in less than 1 second (it will take you less than 1 second once you know how to do it).
1. separate the 4 and the 3 thus: 4 __ 3 (because we are going to put a number in between the 4 and the 3),
2. add 4 + 3 to get: 4 + 3 = 7,
3. place the 7 between the 4 and the 3 to get: 4 7 3,
That is your answer: 43 x 11 = 473
How easy is that?
Practice on the following and see how quickly you can do them in your mind:
- 23 x 11 = (23 x 11 = 253)
- 18 x 11 = (18 x 11 = 198)
- 71 x 11 = (71 x 11 = 781)
If I were to ask you now, what is 27 x 11? You would be able to work it out in your head in less than 1 second and tell me: 297.
Congratulations! You have gone from 'I can't do mental arithmetic' to 'Gee, that was easy!'.
The thing about mental arithmetic is: the problem is not 'I can't do mental arithmetic' but 'I don't know how to do mental arithmetic'.
There are many such tricks to doing mental arithmetic and once you know them, you will be amazed at the type of mental arithmetic calculations you will be able to do in you head in less than 1 second:
- divide by 5 eg. 42 / 5 = ?
- multiply by 5 eg. 68 x 5 = ?
- square a number that ends in 5 eg. 45 x 45 = ?
- and so on . . .
So, take heart! You are not as 'dumb' as you think. You can't do mental arithmetic simply because you were never shown how to do it . . . and not because you can't!
Serge M Botans
Serge M Botans is the CEO of the web site
http://www.mental-workout.com and has
taught Maths/Science for 14 years in a High School.
Feel Free to Publish My Articles
If you are interested in publishing any of my articles on your web site, ezines, . . . then feel free as long as you abide by the following terms. These terms are the ones reproduced from iSnare which is the service I usually use to publish my articles.
- You have permission to publish my articles electronically in free-only publications such as a web site or an ezine as long as the bylines/sigs are included.
- You are not allowed to use my articles for commercial purposes. My articles should only be reprinted in a publicly accessible web site and not in a members-only commercial site.
- You are not allowed to post/reprint my articles in any sites/publications that contains or supports hate, violence, porn and warez or any indecent and illegal sites/publications.
- You are not allowed to use my articles in UCE (Unsolicited Commercial Email) or SPAM. My articles MUST be distributed in an opt-in email list only.
- If you distribute my articles in an ezine or newsletter, I ask that you send me a copy of the newsletter or ezine that contains the article to support[at]mental-workout[dot]com (replace [at] with @ and [dot] with .) . . . just so I can get a buzz!
- If you post my articles in a website/forum/blog, ALL links MUST be set to hyperlinks and I ask that you send me a copy of the URL where the article is posted to support[at]mental-workout[dot]com (replace [at] with @ and [dot] with .) . . . just so I can get a buzz!
- I request that you ask my permission first if you want to publish my articles in print.